Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, December 5, 2014

The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews

Once a year, our local YMCA has a fund raiser and sells used books for next to nothing (3 for $1) and Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews was one I picked up. It's definitely a light read, but a nice story of a young woman who, as a Washington lobbyist, is a fish out of water in a small Georgia town.
The book has been referred to as Southern Chic Lit and I must admit I did skip quite a few pages where it just didn't hold my interest. FBI agents saying "you go girl" didn't seem realistic to me. The 400+ pages could have been condensed quite a bit.
You can read Goodreads reviews here

From the cover:
After her boss is caught in a political scandal, fledgling Washington lobbyist Dempsey Jo Killebrew is left broke, unemployed, and homeless. Out of options, she reluctantly accepts her father's offer to help turn Birdsong - a fading Victorian mansion he recently inherited in Guthrie, Georgia - into a real estate cash cow. But Birdsong turn out to be a moldering Pepto-Bismol-pink dump with duct-taped windows, a driveway full of junk, and a grumpy distant relation who's claiming squatter's rights. Stuck in a tiny town where everyone seems to know her business, Dempsey grits her teeth and rolls up her sleeves, and begins her journey back to the last place she ever expected: home.