Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, May 16, 2014

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

Barbara Kingsolver's  books have been on my to be read  list for sometime, but it was only recently that I picked up Flight Behavior and it quickly became the top of my favorite reads for this year.  The story follows Dellarobia who loves her children and wants a better life for them and herself. Living in Tennessee on property owned by her in-laws, she has become discontent with both life and her husband until the unexpected migration of butterflies lands thousands of them on the mountain behind her house and brings a spark to the dismal outlook she has. The book touches on the problems with clear cutting forests which has recently been in the news after the horrendous mudslides in Washington.

My thoughts:
Barbara Kingsolver is an amazing writer and her attention to detail puts the reader both alongside the character and in the setting.  I'm only half way through the book and although I want to finish it, I also feel that when I do I'll feel I'm missing an old friend. Her book is like cuddling up in a cozy blanket on a cold day and feeling immersed in the warmth. I can't wait to read more of her work.