Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, February 7, 2014

Sister India by Peggy Payne

Sister India by Peggy Payne isn't one that I might normally pick up, but I found several novels that piqued my interest when we visited Larry McMurtry's bookstores in Archer City. (Bookstore No. 2 has all books priced at $5).

The story flows around India's Ganges River where several American tourists have arrived at the Saraswati Guest House in Varanasi. One guest is there to study the polluted river, while the others are there to find peace, escape from grief after the death of a spouse and their host, herself an American, struggles with the past and masks her pain with food. Amid the bustle of the city, Muslims and Hindu's clash.

Peggy Payne is a gifted author who is able to bring the sights and sounds of India to the reader. I found it an interesting and enjoyable read.

Reader/Bookclub discussion questions here