Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Home to Harmony by Philip Gulley

I want to start off by saying I loved Home to Harmony. Some have compared it to the Jan Karon Mitford series, but I think Home to Harmony has a small town class of its own. Sam Gardner returns to Harmony, where he grew up, as the Quaker Pastor. He shares with us parts of his childhood and the joys and disadvantages of living in a small town. Mr. Gulley has a wonderful way of drawing in the reader and this is will definitely go on my list of favorites for 2014.

Excerpt:
When I was in second grade, my teacher, Miss Maxwell, read from the Harmony Herald that one in every four children lived in China. I remember looking over the room, guessing which children they might be. I wasn't sure where China was, but suspected it was on bus route three . . .