Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Guest Post - Sharon Owen

Sharon K Owen is a long time friend who writes novels in the genre of Romantic Suspense/women Sleuths. Sharon has stopped by today to tell us about her novel and The Brands Crossing Series.

Welcome Sharon.
Can you tell us about Thicker than Water?
Thicker Than Water (Brands Crossing Series) is the first in a series of novels set in Brands Crossing, Texas. It chronicles the lives of the Kincaids, a prominent family in this mythical town, and focuses on a mystery that extends back to the mid-eighteenth century and the young Texas Republic.
In Thicker Than Water (Brands Crossing Series), the protagonist KATE O’DONNELL has to make a choose between continuing to pursue a music career and a promising romantic relationship in Nashville and returning to Texas to help solve the mystery surrounding her grandfather’s fatal car crash. Family trumps career and romance and Kate heads for Brands Crossing where she searches for missing documents, investigates a centuries-old feud and is stalked by an anonymous, rose-sending admirer.
As a child, KATE O'DONNELL spends summers at her grandparents' estate in Brands Crossing, Texas where she  battles make-believe monsters, rescues endangered victims and a saves a mythical kingdom.
At twenty-five Kate is a singer/songwriter living in Nashville and pursuing a promising relationship with computer game designer PHILLIP NORWOOD. There, her only battles are fought in Aidenne's Revenge, Phillip's online fantasy game based on her childhood adventures.
When her grandfather is critically injured in a suspicious car crash, Kate  abandons career and romance to return home to solve the mystery.There, she  searches for incriminating documents, investigates a centuries-old family feud and confronts an anonymous rose-bearing admirer who stalks Kate in both real and virtual universes.

Tell us a little about you and how you came to love writing.
I am a fiction writer, a university professor, a copy editor and an online writing teacher. My first Romantic Suspense/Women Sleuths: Thicker Than Water (Brands Crossing Series) was published in 2011 and the second book in the series, Whatever Goes Around, will be published in March, 2012.
My short stories and poetry have been published in Descant, Concho River Review, Iron Horse, American Literary Review, Trinity Writer’s Workshop newsletter and collections of Christmas stories.
I am blessed with a loving family, a multitude of friends and the good fortune to share a cozy sanctuary in North Texas with my four-legged roommates.
As an only child in a household and neighborhood primarily populated with adults, I followed my grandfather’s example and entertained myself by creating my own stories in which I was always the hero and the star.
I inherited my vivid imagination and a compulsion to create alternate realities from my maternal grandfather.
He was natural-born story teller. In another century he might have been a Seanchai (an irish storyteller/historian who related adventures that became part of the legends in Ireland.
In our family, he passed along an oral history that brought our ancestors to life. These stories instilled in me a love of family drama and a curiosity about all the interactions of family members through succeeding generations.
The literacy skills I developed in school give me the opportunity to put those stories on paper. Although the written version never quite matches the perfection of those images in my mind, I persist in the attempt to present characters and situations that intrigue, inspire and entertain.

Thanks for stopping by today, Sharon. We're all looking forward to getting our hands on Whatever Goes Around and keeping up with the Kincaid family.

You can follow Sharon on her blog Simply Creating